Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Life Updates and my thoughts about AP

It's been a while since my last post. Life is busy! We moved, the house is finally organized and clean. I've been working L&D and I'm loving it! Next week I start my NICU job Per Diem.

My baby is growing so fast, every time I look at her I take a million mental pictures and try to make notes to myself to enjoy every moment. I love her more than I ever imagined. And although I've been working a lot I am still pumping at work and breastfeeding at home.

A couple weeks ago there was a lot of talk and controversy about the cover of TIME magazine, which showed a mom breast feeding an almost four-year-old boy. The cover was meant to sell magazines, so they put the boy up on a chair, to make him look taller and the mom is defiantly looking straight at the camera. The headline read: "Are you mom enough" and talked about the "extreme" Attachment Parenting theory by Dr. William Sears. I didn't really like the cover, but it was nice to bring extended breastfeeding and other subjects to the media.

That same week I went to Palm Springs to hear Dr. Bill Sears talk about Attachment Parenting at a Conference. I practice AP and I am a working mom. AP is not hard, it's not extreme, it's just a natural, "gut feeling" way to raise your child. We sleep together, we breastfeed, we use baby carriers a lot. I was raised like that and I believe it makes the child more secure, confident, smart and independent!

Even though I practice AP, I totally respect any parenting style. The kid is yours, your job is to research, study and decide what is the best way to raise your baby. The way you believe will result in a productive, hard working, sensitive and empathetic adult. Your baby, your call. Give your child your very best!

To finish this post, I'll put a Youtube video of my baby. She'll be 8 months old tomorrow. This is what she learned since last month:


1 comment:

  1. celmaguilherme@hotmail.comMay 28, 2012 at 8:25 PM

    Filha estou muito orgulhosa de vc, vc esta sendo uma mamãe maravilhosa pra minha netinha Melanie, cada dia mais linda...Amo as duas!

    ReplyDelete