Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Baby Wearing

Hello,

I'm back. I didn't make a video this time, but Melanie ate a banana. I cut it in sticks with the skin on (after washing it really well, of course). She did really well and she loves bananas!!! Last night we went to a restaurant to celebrate a friend's birthday and I gave her a piece of broccoli. The piece was big, so she enjoyed sucking on it. But as she sucked and the broccoli started to fall apart, a big piece got loose and she tried to swallow it. She gagged, which I know is normal in baby led weaning, but it was scary, so I fished out the piece from her mouth and saved her life! haha No, seriously, my husband got a little freaked out too, so I'm going to stick with softer stuff, like potatoes, squash, bananas, avocados, etc. I will try a piece of egg yolk someday, like a quarter of it. Don't feed your LO the egg whites until they're one, because it's allergenic, OK?

Now let's talk about Baby Wearing, after all that's the title of the post! Before I ever thought about getting pregnant, I remember seeing some people wearing slings and Baby Bjorns. But I had never heard about baby wearing and its benefits until I started my Lactation Consultant Course. I'll talk more about this course in another post... There, I heard about Dr. Sears  and Attachment Parenting for the first time. I love to read, so I read a bunch of books about AP, baby sleep, vaccines, etc. I really agreed with most of what AP stands for and I knew that I would practice it when I had a baby. Funny enough, I got pregnant while in the course. There was a new mom in my class that wore a beautiful baby pink sling wearing her cute baby girl, and she inspired me on wearing my baby too.

Baby wearing have many benefits: babies develop better, increase their sense of security and trust, promotes attachment, is economical, you can get things done around the house, etc. You can read more about the reasons and how to choose a sling here.

Before I had Melanie a friend from work gave me a Moby Wrap. She said her baby was too big and heavy for it and she didn't feel good back support. She gave me to try and maybe I would have more luck with it. Well I did! Melanie really like it. I think the wrap gives really good back and shoulder support and the fabric ir organic and very soft. The only think I don't like about it is the size. The Moby Wrap is just a giant strip of fabric. It took me many times of Youtube training to get it right, but you get used to it. When I'm going to use it though, I put it at home and drive with it on, because I don't like that fabric touching the floor of somewhere else that is not my house when I am putting the wrap on.



Before I had the baby, I wanted a carrier Baby Bjorn style, but I had heard that Baby Bjorn and carriers alike are not good for the infant's legs, because with it, the legs are hanging down and the pressure is all on the baby;s crotch, which put's stress on their spine. So I talked to my Doula and she told me about the Ergo Baby Carrier. You can tell it's ergonomic by the name... I got an infant insert for when she was little, but now she can use it without it. The only thing I don't like about it is that you can't face forward the baby, and Melanie really enjoys being carried face forward. I guess I can carry her on my back (piggy back style), but I haven't tried it yet.

In this picture, she was nursing and you can't even tell!


Besides those I have a Maya Sling and a baby K'tan.

The Maya Sling is beautiful, but I couldn't get used to it yet. The ring touches her face many times and it bothers me. The fabric rubs on her neck sometimes too...


I am not a really big fan of the baby K'tan... I feel it's too loose or something... I don't have pictures wearing it.

I think wearing your baby is so much easier than a stroller. And the babies like to be close to mommy (or daddy... they can wear the baby too).

I hope you liked this post. Don't forget to leave a comment so I know you've been visiting me :)

See you soon,

Ca

No comments:

Post a Comment